Skip to main content

So... I'm moving to Costa Rica


Lets start this story with a little bit of romance. I met my husband the traditional way people of my generation meet and date others, by posting highly edited pictures on a dating website of myself looking slightly up at the camera so it looks like I'm not developing a second chin. Of course, I got the normal list of single men with hobbies like collecting Star Wars action figures or people who said hello with pictures of their genitals. (On a quick side note guys or girls for that matter, if you are considering sending said pictures to someone who does not state on their profile that they are looking for $@&% pics, don't send them. No, I changed my mind, just don't send them at all.  Have some respect or yourself and your genitals. Life lessons are free of charge.) Then a cute lil Latino man came along with the witty opening chat comment of "hello." We talked online for a while and that was decent. He finally asked me to dinner and said about 7 words I didn't have to pull from him like a gardener trying to pull weeds. I knew right then, I never wanted to spend another meal with this man as long as I live. 


Well, that didn't end the way I expected and now we're married with two cats, a dog, a hedge hog, and two birds who actually hate one another when they are not cuddling. Along the unexpected route of marrying this quite lover of any animal with fur, total distaste for any or all small talk, and the ability to fall asleep in any circumstance in about 3 seconds; I learned he was from Costa Rica. He had come to the United States as a foreign exchange student and decided he liked it here. He also decided that while he wanted to live here, he didn't want to die here. He knew he would go back to Costa Rica after retirement and had some undeveloped land in the providence of Guanacaste. I married him because I loved the snot out of him and no man has ever loved me just as I am like he does. Having the land in Costa Rica was definitely a mark in his favor! Who would say no to a person who loves you and will eventually take you home to the tropical paradise country for retirement?




Fast forward to modern day.  I'm working my jewelry full time, and Eduardo is becoming disenchanted with the medical field. At the start of October we received news that Eduardo's father was seriously ill and passed away the next day. His father was the foundation of his youth and his death effected Eduardo in ways I don't yet understand as both of my parents are still living. All of his family was back home, including his mother who is in decent health but not as young as she was when he left home at 17. The news rocked him, as news of that nature does, and left him a bit more homesick than he already was.  



We talked about our current position in life that involved my ability to work anywhere and his approaching retirement in the next few years. Combine that with the fact that I'm always up for a new life adventure and he was homesick and truly was burnt out from the OR.  We decided to sell our house here and  build a new home and rental bungalows in Costa Rica.  So.....I'm moving to Costa Rica!






Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Coronavirus in Costa Rica

Six days after we arrived the country of Costa Rica was shut down to foreign travelers.  We got here at the right time, thank God.  I could not have gotten into the country if we would have waited a week.  Along with the shut down of the country, Costa Rica also put restrictions in place for bars, restaurants, churches, and gatherings.  Like many other countries they have also closed business that were not essential, closed beaches and parks, and limited the number of people in markets and stores.  The country has done amazingly well containing the outbreak here.  To this date we have 780 cases with 480 recovered and only 6 deaths. Those are great numbers and I've very proud of my new home for being so organized and on top of things. I feel very safe here compared to many other countries.    While most of the country is in lock down it's not as sever as the United States.  We can still walk down to the markets and go shopping for groceries...

So, I moved to Costa Rica

I am now a resident of Costa Rica.  Well, I am a here on a visitors visa until it expires in 90 days and then I will be visiting the lovely nation of Nicaragua approximately 1.5 hours, but close enough.  It has been a whirlwind of experiences that I will attempt to sum down to a few short hours of reading for you.   The Flight We flew out of Fort Wayne because we were bringing two cats and the extra expense of flying out of Fort Wayne was well worth having to listen to two cats sing the heart breaking song of "of the agony and pain" two hours in the car. Yes they were drugged and it might have been fine, but we were not taking any chances.  We also decided to upgrade to first class since we got two free bags up to 70 pounds and the cost difference was close to the same. So, we arrive at the airport at the ungodly hour of 4 am - credit to my amazing mom who picked us up at 3:30.  We arrived before the Delta people were already at the counter, s...

Central Market of Heredia

As many of you know, we have moved to Heredia before setting off to Potrero. One of the things I was most excited about was the central market.  I was there once when I was traveling to Costa Rica for the first time, but didn't have much of a chance to really explore on my own time.  So on our first full day we decided to go for a stroll to the market.  So we took a lovely walk to the market. Do you remember when we used to make fun of older people who would complain about how bad their lives were growing up compared to ours?  "We walked to school in the snow up hills both ways....."  Well, they must have been in Costa Rica, except for the snow.  I come from Indiana where the world is mostly flat.  There are a few hills, we will call them bumps. Those bumps make up a slight incline into softly rolling bumps at best.  They do have bumps in Costa Rica but those are speed bumps. My first experience with the central market was going down a hill ...